Monday, January 25, 2010

Winter Song

Winter is my favorite season. I wrote that in my novel from November, but I think I really do believe it. Each of the seasons have their own particular delight, but winter is my favorite, I think.
Spring has the most hope; Summer the most joy. Fall has the most depth, but winter. Winter has the most magic.
The only thing I DON'T like about winter is being cold. BUT I do like to become warm, so I suppose I even like the cold part of winter. I think winter can experience the widest range of emotions. It's true, it can be depressing and lonely and melancholic when the sky is grey and you feel you'll never see the sun again. But then again, those mornings when you wake up and the world has been completely transformed through the night by a gentle blanket of snow ... glistening in sunlight ... where can you find a more profound joy? I mean seriously. Winter is the only season where the world can be completely transformed over night. You can go to bed in one world ... gray and bitter. And while you sleep, Jack Frost comes for a visit and when you wake up, everything is white and redeemed. Literally over night everything has changed. This doesn't happen in spring. Spring is a very slow and gradual change. There comes a time when you suddenly realize that the whole of the world has awakened, but it's been a slow awakening, so slow you don't notice it until it's finished, or nearly so.
I also love winter clothes. I love scarves and sweaters; jeans and corduroys. All my favorite clothing is winter clothing. And then the fires! And hot chocolate! The act of warming up when it is so very cold outside. A good fire sparks good conversation. Haha, I didn't really mean that pun. And what about that feeling inside when you wrap your hands around a warm mug of tea or hot chocolate? I have learned to like tea, but I don't know if it's for the tea so much as the warming of it and I can't quite bring myself to drink straight hot water, yet ... nor do I care to try. Tea is close enough for me. And blankets! I almost forgot blankets! I love blankets. I love to wrap myself up in them. I love to feel their weight on me. So cozy and snuggly.
It's true, winter has harshest of winds and you can get to a point of being so cold you don't think you'll ever be warm again. And yet, you always do warm up again ... unless it's the nineteenth-century and you succumbed to scarlet fever or something dramatic like that. But even that bitter cold wind that can whip around the corners and take your breath away, also has a voice ... an identity, malicious or just mischievous, who's to say?
So here's a song for winter, by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson. So good.
It also makes me think of two very dear friends: Anna and Jess. Who are so close to my heart and to each other's. Their friendship has encouraged me in so many ways so many times, and not only my friendship with each of them, but their friendship with each other. They are so beautiful. Even more beautiful than the winter.

Winter Song
sara bareilles & ingrid michaelson

this is my winter song to you
the storm is coming soon
it rolls in from the sea

my voice a beacon in the night
my words will be a light
to carry you to me

is love alive?
is love alive?
is love

they say that things just cannot grow
beneath the winter snow
or so i have been told

they say we're buried far
just like a distant star
i simply cannot hold

is love alive?
is love alive?
is love alive?

this is my winter song
december never seemed so wrong
'cause you're not where you belong
inside my arms

i still believe in summer days
the seasons always change
and life will find a way

i'll be your harvester of light
and send it out tonight
so we can start again

is love alive?
is love alive?
is love

this is my winter song
december never seemed so wrong
'cause you're not where you belong
inside my arms

this is my winter song to you
the storm is coming soon
it rolls in from the sea

my love a beacon in the night
my words will be a light
to carry you to me

is love alive?

No comments: