Sunday, March 14, 2010

Success

From today's sermon at Commonway.
Success.
Story.
Desire.

Success: To achieve a goal.
Story: A character who wants something and [must overcome] conflict to get it. Not all characters do overcome the conflict; they fail, I guess. Those are not good stories, though perhaps true. Success is to actually overcome, to obtain the object of desire.
What do I want?
What will it take for me to succeed?
What will be my success?

I want ___________________ and am willing to overcome conflict to get it.

I want music. But am I willing to overcome conflict to get it?
I want comfort. Am I willing to overcome conflict to get it? If I do, am I a success? Does it make a good story?

If other people see what I've done, and it's been true to what I want, but they laugh at me, will I still have succeeded? Will I still consider myself a success?
If no one sees what I've done, but I've been true to what I want, will I still have succeeded? Will I still consider myself a success?
If people see what I've done and celebrate me, but it hasn't been true to what I want, will I have succeeded? Will I consider myself a success?

I hope to say it doesn't matter what people say, if I know I've been true to what my heart wants, if I've pursued it, if I've overcome conflict, if I've obtained it, then I will consider myself a success.
But because of what it is that I want, if no one sees what I've done, I cannot have succeeded. They do not need to see it was me who did it, but they need to see it has been done. If they don't, I've failed greatly.

I want to live well & love much, to leave the world better than when I came and am willing to overcome conflict to get it.

I wish, anyway.

No comments: