Thursday, November 26, 2009

Colin's Beautiful World

I'm listening to last week's "This American Life" so this might be a little disjunct. Sorry.

Yet again. I'm like a broken record. There's been so much I've wanted to put on here, but generally it's while I'm driving, so of course, it doesn't make it. Because I can't type and drive at the same time. It's crazy, I know.

Anyway.

1. I love my family. Even when they drive me crazy. Seriously, they're great. Hilarious.

I'm writing this novel. I'm over 28,000 words. I want to start over and write a novel about my family instead. They're classic characters. Seriously. It would be true, but it would sound like fiction. Maybe it'll be the novel I write the other 11 months of the year. We'll see.

2. I had an audition in Chicago for the Grant Park Symphony. It was incredible. Soon I'm going to tell you all about it.

3. I'm re-reading The Furious Longing of God by Brennan Manning. It's so good. Better now than when I read it the first time. I must be at a good point, ready for it.

4. What I really wanted to write about was ... if my life were a movie ... what would the soundtrack be. And I want to know about your lives too. So respond in the comments.

If your life were a movie, what would the soundtrack be?

This will be an ongoing project. Clearly, since my life is not yet over.
So far I've got these.

1. Jimmy Buffett -- Little Miss Magic

?. Snow Patrol -- Open Your Eyes

?+-. Willie Nelson -- On the Road Again

?+. Ingrid Michaelson -- Far Away

I know, very thorough. Those question marks mean I don't know what number they'd be on the soundtrack because I don't know how many songs would be in between.

So tell me. Yours? Two projects, okay, Three:
1. Read The Furious Longing of God
2. What's the soundtrack of your life
3. What's the soundtrack of your life right now, just at this stage of your life?


Beautiful World
Colin Hay

My my my, it's a beautiful world
I like swimming in the sea
I like to go out beyond the white breakers
Where a man can still be free
(Or a woman if you are one)
I like swimming in the sea

My my my, it's a beautiful world
I like drinking Irish tea
With a little bit of Lapsang Souchongi
I like making my own tea

My my my, it's a beautiful world
I like driving in my car
I roll the top down
Sometimes I travel quite far
Drive to the ocean
And stare up at the stars
I like driving in my car

All around is anger
Automatic guns
There's death in large numbers
No respect for women
Or our little ones

I tried talking to Jesus
But He just put me on hold
Said He'd been swamped by calls this week
And He could not shake His cold

But still this emptiness persists
Perhaps this is as good as it gets
When you've given up the drink
And those nasty cigarettes
Now I leave the party early
At least with no regrets
I watch the sun when it comes up
I watch it as it sets
Yeah this is as good as it gets

My my my, it's a beautiful world
I like sleeping with Marie
she is one sexy girl
Full of mystery
She says she doesn't love me
But she likes my company
For now that's good enough for me

My my my, it's a beautiful world
I like swimming in the sea
I like to go out beyond the white breakers
Where a man can still be free
(Or a woman if you are one)
I like swimming in the sea

Eeeee

6 comments:

Amy Rose said...

I'll have to think about that... (the soundtrack thing)

The Wibbler said...

I'm especially interest in your thoughts, Amy.

The Wibbler said...

Interested, that is.

Maybe I should not be typing right now, but sleeping, rather.

Mike said...

Like you my sound track is ever changing. I know that Janis would make multiple apearances though... right now she would be singing "take a piece of my heart"

Mike said...

cool... I just showed up as my dad... this is Hannah and dad's computer... though his might be singing the same thing right now...

Andy said...

i only read to the part where it said you auditioned in Chicago for the Grant Park Symphony. That made me very happy and excited. you should tell the story. When i worked in Chicago over the summer i would go to the symphony practices and then the performances every week. it was great.