Friday, August 20, 2010

Juxtapositions

Sometimes life seems to be no respecter of persons.

I'm sitting in Finland surrounded by the Halo Ensemble and have just received the crushing news that one of our friends, Jesse, who's letting us use his room and live in his apartment for two weeks, has been diagnosed with meningitis after three days of headaches. My nephew has suffered from this. My heart is broken and crushed and I'm scared for him.

At the same time, six of my great great friends are playing charades and laughing (and even making me laugh) ... because they don't know about what's going on with Jesse, yet.

What are we supposed to make of this life? How can we laugh while the world is suffering at the same time?

1 comment:

Amy Rose said...

Sometimes I think it's because without laughter, why would we bother to go through the hard times?

In this life, hard times are a guaranteed. The laughter is like a paycheck at the end of a long day. So, while there are times that it is inappropriate to laugh (you would not, say, ask for your paycheck on the first day of your new job), I think in general we have to keep on laughing.