Thursday, March 26, 2009

Love Waits

I think as musicians we must all struggle at some time or another with worshiping music.
It is so beautiful, and affective, so good, it seems worthy of being worshiped.
As a Christian this is a problem, because we know we are to worship nothing but the one God, the LORD Jesus Christ.

Sometimes I love music so much that I want to put it in that place of highest esteem. But in thruth, this is not loving music at all. To love something truly is to put it and keep it in its right place.

If I truly love my fish (I'm sorry this is a horrible example), I will not take it out of its tank to carry it with me wherever I go. That would kill the fish. If I truly love it, I will leave it in its proper place, where it lives and thrives, where it will have a future.

If I truly love music, I ought not elevate it to the place of LORD in my life. This will only lead eventually to dischord (no pun intended), disappointment and resentment. When I put music in that place of God, I will then look to it for things I would look to God for. And music cannot provide those things. I will then be angry with music for not fulfilling my hopes. Now do I still love music? No, now I resent music. Our relationship is broken because the expectations were excessive and preposterous. If I really love music, which I do, then I leave it in its place of "really awesome" and messenger of God's worthiness, and love for me.

Music, please understand me when I do not elevate you to the status of God. It is not because I don't want to or I don't love you, in fact, I DO want to (after all, I understand you much better than I do God), but I leave you where you are because that is your place, your home in a sense, and where you belong. Because I love you, I will not worship you.


This song is actually called "Speak to me Gently," but I originally knew it as "Love Waits" which I frequently need reminded of, and oftentimes like better ...

Love Waits
future of forestry

sadness and rhyme
these are the times
these are the memories
we find a way
pushing through the day
so speak to me gently

can you just feel the time
falling from some place new?
can you just feel the sign?
love waits for you
love waits for you

i'm searching the stars
in desparate hours
bound to find meaning
God shows a face
in this desolate place
and tenderness meets me

can you just feel the time
falling from some place new?
can you just feel the sign?
love waits for you

stories untold
of redwoods grown old
reside in the forest
and there you can hear
a whispering tear
that speaks into our loneliness

can you just feel the time
falling from some place new?
can you just feel the sing?
love waits for you
love waits for you

2 comments:

Mimi Collett said...

Thanks for sharing that song. I enjoyed reading the lyrics. :) It's a beautiful, calming poem.

Amy Rose said...

Personally, I loved your fish example. AND I'm so excited you wrote something on your blog. I love these little insights into Heather's world.