Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sibelius Symphony No. 5

Jesus brought me boy scouts.

Let me explain. This weekend, I was driving to work and I saw a boy and his dad loading up a red wagon with stuff, clearly from a school sale, for the neighbors. And I said "God, why don't the boy scouts ever come to MY house? I want to support them." Because I've come to realize that adults aren't actually scary. And that they actually really want to buy the stuff from the kids, to support them and encourage them, because they themselves still see themselves as kids a bit. I did not think this when I was a child. I thought adults were scary and definitely my enemies; they didn't want to buy my peanuts or popcorn, they didn't care about the cookies. But that's wrong! So I wanted these kids to come to my door, so I could let them know adults are okay, buy purchasing some popcorn.
Yesterday evening, I was writing an email to a friend and say a pack of people running up the walk to the door. And I did say to myself at first "ho, boy. I don't want anything from these kids. Can't they just leave me alone?" Then I thought ... "Wait! I wanted this to happen. I asked God for these kids. Alright. I'll buy something cheap." So this cute little boy, whose dad goes to my parent's church, or my Starbucks or something, came to the door and said. "HI. MY NAME IS TREVOR. I'M A BOY SCOUT IN TROOP 70 (at this point his older brother joined in unison). WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY SOME POPCORN?" And I said "I would LOVE to buy some popcorn, Trevor!"

Listen to the fourth movement of Sibelius' Symphony No. 5

3 comments:

Amy Rose said...

That's so neat!

Hmm, delicious Boy Scout popcorn.

Mimi Collett said...

That is so cool! Man. I really want Girl Scout cookies now.

Anna said...

ah you started updating more regularly! yes!!! i just got to read like 5 of them :) greg and i just sang the sweater song yesterday. i am glad you added it to your post. also, i am glad you are my friend because i love you lots.